Lyon, Montpellier, Toulouse, Hô-Chi-Minh-Ville
The beginning of the year for cinematographic appreciation starts January 19th running until January 29th in the United States, Utah.
Park City, Salt Lake City, Ogden and Sundance (Utah) offer 200 films to a public made up of over 50,000 festivalgoers. Whilst playing tribute to new talent, spectators can also enjoy live music performances and take note from panel discussions with leading film makers and industry figures. This new talent may present itself by means of a documentary or short film.
Many films presented have indeed gone on to become Oscar winners. At the 2010 Sundance Film Festival, 9 films went on to win 15 Oscar nominations, and 4 of the 5 Best Documentary nominees were Sundance films.
• Beast of the Southern Wild directed by Benh Zeitlin, (Winner of the Grand Jury Prize).
• The House I live in by Eugene Jarecki (Winner of the Grand Jury Prize for Documentary)
• Violeta se fue a los cielos directed by Andres Wood (Winner of the World Cinema Grand Jury prize)
• Searching for Sugar Man directed by Malik Benjelloul (Winner of the World Cinema Audience Award for Documentary Film.)
• Red Lights, directed by Rodrigo Cortés (Buried) has divided critics. Despite the presence of Robert De Niro and Sigourney Weaver, Cortés did not manage to win the public with this production centered on paranormal activity.
Founded in 1978 Salt Lake City by Sterling Van Wagenen, John Earle and Crinia Hampton Catania, the first festival featured films such as ‘A streetcar Named Desire’ and ‘The Sweet Smell of Success.’ This competition showcasing only American- made films sought to highlight productions created outside of the Hollywood circle. With only one other competition of this nature in Dallas, Sundance soon built up audience numbers.Prestige for the festival was created by the leadership of well know Hollywood Utahn actor Robert Redford who played in films such as ‘The way we were, Out of Africa’ and ‘The Horse Whisperer.’Originally held in the month of September, in 1981 the festival became a winter ceremony. 2011 marked the first year in which the festival was to be held outside of American territory.
The Sundance festival left Utah to install itself in the London 02 arena during the month of April. What was once a festival to promote small budget films, the Sundance Festival has turned into a glamorous star-reuniting, paparazzi magnet that
Studio M offers a variety of media courses for students wishing to pursue a career in the creative industries